May 6, 2016
ADRA Canada and the Alberta Conference Adventist Community Services (ACS) are offering assistance to those affected by the Fort McMurray fires. ADRA Canada and the Alberta Conference ACS joined together a few years ago to purchase a disaster response vehicle/trailer. That vehicle has been filled with supplies which will be delivered to those affected by this disaster. Local Alberta Conference churches will be providing volunteers. Local families have also opened their homes to the displaced. ADRA Canada has also partnered with GlobalMedic to send hygiene kits containing toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, and a towel to 2,000 people. Assistance from the Alberta Conference ACS and ADRA Canada will continue in the upcoming days.”
"We have received confirmation from individuals who were able to drive by the Fort McMurray Seventh-day Adventist Church that it appears to be intact. We continue to monitor reports regarding the well being of our Adventist families in the community and the condition of their homes. We will share more information when it is available." - Lyle Notice, ADRA/Adventist Community Services Disaster Response Alberta Conference
Here are some quick points.
· The fire is still raging in Fort McMurray
· 88,000 people have been evacuated
· Many residents have lost homes
· Most residents have been evacuated and have been relocated to the city of Edmonton, with several hundred more displaced victims being directed there later today.
· There is a reception center in place at Northlands
· Edmonton South Church has also opened up its doors to displaced victims and are hosting several families
· As for our immediate response the ADRA Trailer will be headed with several volunteers to Northlands and Edmonton South Church today to drop off care kits, sleeping bags, pillows and water
· Northlands Reception Center will be heavily in need of pillows, bedding/sleeping bags, baby formula care kits. If you have any of these items please direct them to the Edmonton South Church
· ADRA and Alberta Adventist Community Services will be more heavily involved with many volunteers in the Short Term Post Disaster Recovery Phase, this will be several days after the fire has stopped and it is safe to enter the disaster zone.
To financially support the relief efforts in Fort McMurray through the Adventist church you may do so using the following options:
Option #1: Adventist Giving
Donate using Adventist Giving: www.albertaadventist.ca/online-giving. Designate funds to: AB Disaster Relief
Option #2: ADRA Canada
Visit www.adra.ca and donate online.
Please pray for all the displaced people and families along with the relief personnel and volunteers.